feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

feedburner count

Tony Hawk Boom Boom Huckjam 20-Inch BMX Bike

Tony Hawk Boom Boom Huckjam 20-Inch BMX Bike

Pretty fun bike for an older guy

I've always wanted a BMX bike as a kid, but we were never able to afford one. Now that I'm too old for one, I decided to get one anyway for my short commute to campus. I ended up getting the Tony Hawk Boom Boom Huckjam 20-inch Silver BMX bike at KMart for $149.99. I have seen it on sale at KMart for $134.99. (On a side note, KMart has by far the worst customer service ever.) Here's a short review of the bike after riding it for about a month. The bike is a series of BMX and mountain bikes released under the Tony Hawk Huckjam name, although its not listed on the current list of bikes on the website. These bikes are built and distributed by Dynacraft. Since I bought this "as is" from KMart, I did not have to go through the assembly process. There are front and rear hand brakes and no coaster brakes (good). There were two main the reasons I wanted to get a BMX bike. One, they are usually much lighter than mountain bikes. This bike, although lighter than mountain bikes, is still heavier than typical BMX bikes. Even the included and removable four freestyle pegs are pretty heavy. According to Amazon, the shipping weight of the bike is 43.2 lbs, which makes the bike roughly 38 lbs or so. I had wanted a bike under 30 lbs. The second reason is my height. I am 58 and I feel most comfortable on a bike when my feet are flat on the ground while I'm seated on the bike. It's also safer when I can plant my feet quickly during quick stops and what not. A 20 BMX bike fits the bill. However, I had to raise the seat to its maximum height. I am using this bike purely for transportation and fun, and not for exercise, so I didn't want to spend too much money on it. I had wanted a bike closer to $100 bucks, but it was definitely difficult to find one I liked at that price. All the Mongoose ones that were priced cheaply were either of poor quality or too heavy. After searching for a while at Walmart, Target, Sports Authority, Dick's, Modell's and KMart, I couldn't stand it anymore and settled on this one. I was surprised that Amazon didn't sell that many BMX bikes. They had a silver Mongoose freestyle bike for $150 that I liked. I also wanted a dull inconspicous color since I did not want to draw attention to myself. The silver on this bike is more of a multi-silver, with different shinyness. I plan to sandpaper and spray paint the bike with a clear matte to dull the color. BMX bikes contain one gear. The gear on this one is roughly gear 5 on a 10-speed bike. It makes uphills difficult but doable for short distances less than 1/4 mile. Another advantage to one gear bikes is that the gears don't jut out to the right of the bike too far. This allows you to wear long pants and jeans without worrying about it catching on the gears. This bike also comes with a plastic gear protector anyways. Overall, I am pretty happy with this bike. It seems pretty well built. Although there appears to be a paint chip inside one of the aluminum bars, that makes a sliding noise when I have it stored in my car. While I ride the bike, there is no sound. The seat of the bike is also pretty comfy. I remember riding BMX bikes as a kid and they seemed hard, narrow and uncomfortable. I am sure I would've been happy with a Mongoose at this price also. But I got this one and I'm happy with it.



Keyword : bmx+bike



0 comments:

Post a Comment